It drives us crazy. We’re minding are own business in silence with a dreary expression on our face, as introverts sometimes do, and someone asks: “Are you Okay?”
Unfortunately, “yes” is never a good enough answer. Neither are the following:
- I’m fine. I’m just contemplating suicide.
- Okay? I haven’t felt this great since you asked me if I was okay two minutes ago.
- Thanks for your concern, but I’m just giving my facial muscles a rest.
- Could you repeat your question? I was talking to my therapist, Satan.
- I’m better than okay. I’m satisfactory.
- If by okay you mean oblivious to the monotony around me, I’m just peachy.
- I’m sorry. Were you talking to me or another voice in my head?